Terminology ($2.99) is a browser for the English language. Part dictionary and part thesaurus, Terminology is designed to make it easy to explore words and phrases, diving down to more and less specific terms -- accessing the web and other apps for more detail and sharing.
- Pleasant, book-like, readable interface.
- Offline use.
- Definitions, synonyms, antonyms.
- Keep list of favorite words for quick access.
- Lookup words from Phraseology, Instapaper, Mr. Reader, Writing Kit and a growing list of other apps.
- Customizable font face and size.
- Customizable links to other reference and sharing apps.
- Customizable links to web resources for each term.
There are plenty of good free dictionary apps available for the iPad, not to mention the iPad's own built-in dictionary, so why would you want to pay for one? Well, it really depends on what your needs are. If you just need a basic definition and few synonyms, then one of the free apps (such as (Dictionary.com), will probably suffice. But if you're looking for a tool which allows you to explore the meanings of words in greater depth, then Terminology is well worth your investment. One thing it doesn't do, however, is give any indication as to how the words are pronounced, which represents something of a disadvantage for learners of English.